All lessons and club training is run by Active Luton under the leadership of coaches Stephen Hewat & Kirsteen Mitchell. Selection into the Clubs Squads, so that you can compete, may be from lessons or Talent Identification.
If you would like to book onto a course of diving lessons please call Inspire: Luton Sports Village reception on 01582 393230 or visit the Active Luton website for further information.
Children are selected to join our squads by the head coach if they have the physical and mental attributes to be a competitive diver.
We are always looking for talented children in beginner lessons, holiday courses and taster sessions who could be competitive divers. The traits we are looking for include:
- Flexibility: good pike shape, splits, flexible shoulders and achilles
- Springy jumps
- Strength: strong core, arms and legs
- Good toe point
- Competent headstand and handstands
- Coordination & control
- Bravery & willingness to try new skills from high boards
- Attention to detail and form
- Ability to make changes to dives from coaches’ comments
Children with a background in competitive gymnastics, tumbling, trampolining and dance often have some of the traits to make successful competitive divers. If you think your child has some or all of these attributes then contact Kirsteen to arrange a trial, quoting “talent trial”.